Saturday, March 10, 2012

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

Warning: Parts of this novel are rather explicit. You probably shoudn't read this book if you are under 17 (even though I did) or if you are easily offeneded.

This novel is a sort of retelling of what happend before and during Dorothy's visit to Oz. Elphaba was born green. No one really knows why. Her father is a minister and her mother is an adulterous woman who I personally really hate. Elphaba attends Shiz, a bording school, and learns of what happens to the Animals there. At Shiz she meets Galinda, Boq, Fiyero and others. Later on her sister Nessarose vistits as well. Nessa has no arms. This book is kind of difficult to explain, but I have done my best. The Broadways musical is based of this book.

I give Wicked a 3.5/5. It wasn't actually that amazing. I did enjoy it, but it takes time to read. There may come a day where I reread it, but from what I thought, it was quite enjoyable. The 4th part was pretty slow, but the final part totally made up for it. I really like Elphaba's character, but sometimes I was confused with some of the things she was doing. Also, Elphie's mother, I strongly hated. I beliee the author wanted the reader to feel some sympathy for Melena, but I couldn't. I did feel a small amount of sympathy for Frex, her father. I felt quite relateable to Elphaba. I think the author has great world building and an interesting interperatation of Dorothy. I am planning on reading the second book in the trilogy soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment