Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Drink Slay Love by Sarah Beth Durst

This novels is about a sixteen year old vampire named Pearl. She and her Family never have and never will feel remorse for biting a human. It's just what they do. Until one day, a supposedly-mythical unicorn stabs her through the heart with its horn. This unicorn strips her of most vampire traits, like not burning to a crisp in the sun.  Her parents thrust her into high school so that she can find some necks for a hugs vampire ball in a few months. However, something goes awry when Pearl starts to develop something that is not what most vampires would find pleasing: a soul. Ick!

Overall, I gave this book a four out of five cups of cocoa rating. For starters, Pearl's story is told from third person, but I think the relationship between the reader and Pearl was a little lacking. I could not get completely submerged into the world. I like it. nonetheless. I also feel like the ending was a little abrupt and there was some slow, detaied tension at the beginning of the climax, but, alas, it quickly took off from there leaving me a little confused. What did I like about the book? First off, I do not usually read many vampire books because I sort of find them to be a little, cliche or too much like Twilight knock-offs. These vamps were way cliche. But there were some creative mythical creatures that balanced it out for me. I liked Sarah Beth Durst creatures, even if a lot of my friends thought they were ridiculous. It was something that I hadn't read before and I loved it. I'm pretty sure, also, that this is a stand-alone, but I could be wrong. It doesn't really matter since I loved it (it being the creatures) so dang-much. Also, the romance-y kind of story line gave me shivers like all great romance-y novels do. There isn't a lot, but it covered it well. So that is why I, personally think that this book deserves a four.

Read on,
Lexie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment